Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival [San Francisco Music Photography]

Since I've moved to San Francisco I've been so busy working out of town in Monterey and San Luis Obispo plus working with my new Internet Marketing clients in the city during the week. I've barely had a chance to explore the city or get back into the music scene. So when Hardly Strictly landed on my first weekend off in a month and a half I practically ran there. Two of my favorite bands played and I hadn't seen either of them live...so it was quite an exciting experience for me. Friday I couldn't make it because I had to rearrange my work schedule for a mid-week SLO trip. Saturday I headed up after lunch to see Gillian Welch. Since we were a little early for her show we hit the Rooster Stage to see the Songwriter Circle with Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, John Doe and David Olney. We were on the hill pretty far away but I did manage a decent telephoto shot.

Photograph of John Doe on Stage during Songwriter's Circle at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

The Banjo Stage was so crowded for Gillian Welch we had to go around and climb down the hill to see the show from the bushes. I didn't really try to get any photos because Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were basically ants. Sunday I woke up with a new found purpose, I would get there early enough to get a decent upstage spot for Lucero. And I did, I ended up 4 people back from the stage so with my 70-300mm I was able to snap off a ton of great shots.

Photograph of Lead Singer Ben Nichols of Lucero

Photograph of Rick Steff of Lucero

Photograph of John C. Stubblefield Bassist for Lucero


Brian Venable, Guitarist, Roy Berry, Drummer, Ben Nichols and John C. Stubblefield

I loved seeing Lucero live. Even at such an early 11am show they put forth a great effort. They didn't put together a play list. Instead they just winged it and took request from the crowd, which was perfect for this group of fans. I recently found out they are going on tour with Frank Turner and Social Distortion and since I've been plotting a road trip to Tempe, AZ for the last show. Hopefully I will make it, we will see. They are also playing in San Francisco on November 28th...yes I have a ticket so there will be another photo post.

After Lucero I took a break from the festival crowds and went to the Impressionist exhibit at the DeYoung Museum in the park. Then walked back to the park and hung out for Keller & The Keels and Yonder Mountain String Band at the way back of the Arrow Stage...sorry no photos :/

I made my way up to the standing area for Avett Brothers. This was the point where I realized I'm totally spoiled. I have a hard time being at a concert unless I can be up front with my elbows on the stage shooting. The crowd was super inconsiderate. First of all, do you really need to take a nap on a blanket in the prime real estate of the show? If your tired go home! Don't sprawl out on the ground and take up the space that 10 standing people could use to enjoy a great show. If you spread your blanket out on the ground closer than 50 feet from the stage I will walk on it. I'm not even going to pretend to try not to. Second, take off your backpack. Don't wear it while dancing and swing it back in forth into my shoulders and chest over and over for 45 minutes. Yep I'm totally spoiled! So anyways the Avett Brothers were still awesome and I got two good shots then I put my camera away and just watched since I wasn't close enough to get anything better.

Avett Brothers at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Photograph

Fisheye Photography of Avett Brothers Crowd and Stage at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

All in all it was totally worth the bus/train ride plus multiple miles of walking and backpack abuse to see these awesome bands. Next year I'll have to try for a press pass :)

No comments: